TROY M. SMITH, CFP®
Troy has been an independent financial planner since 1989. He began his financial career in 1982 as a sales assistant at EF Hutton. He has since founded three successful wealth management firms and developed strategic financial plans for hundreds of clients to help them pursue their financial goals.
2001-2003: Managing Member/Partner of Lewis Financial Management LLC, a federally Registered Investment Adviser in Raleigh, North Carolina.
1990-2003: Founder and President of Tax-Deferred Retirement Planners, Inc., a Pinehurst, North Carolina based firm Troy founded in 1990 and managed until 2003.
1989-1990: Manager and Registered Representative at Gene Morgan Financial. Gene Morgan is known for his television show: Charting the Market with Gene Morgan that ran for over two decades.
- Active member of the Financial Planning Association
- Nominated for the Financial Planning Association’s national Board of Directors
- Member of the Financial Planning Association of the Triangle
- A knowledgeable professional in Charitable Trusts and Charitable Planning
- Member of the Partnership for Philanthropic Planning (PPP)
- Member of the North Carolina Planned Giving Council (NCPGC)
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) General Securities Registered
- FINRA Series 7 Exam (1989)
- FINRA Series 63 (1990)
- FINRA Series 65 (1995)
- Life Insurance Licensed (1991) in North Carolina
- Licensed for Long-Term Care Insurance
- Has appeared several times on television and radio
- Has been quoted in local and national publications
- Two degrees from the University of Utah in Salt Lake City
- Certified Financial Planner™ course work at the American College, Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
- Adjunct Professor in the Executive Certificate for Financial Planning program, Income Tax Section, at Duke University, Durham, North Carolina